Medicine And Surgery In Nigeria: Universities, Courses Offered, Requirements, Duration & Career Opportunities – This post will focus on everything you need to know on how you can become a successful medical doctor. Continue reading for more details and guideline below:
What Is Medicine And Surgery
Medicine and Surgery is the field of study where scientific principles are employed in order to treat diseases, prevent diseases and improve the standard or quality of life. Someone who studied Medicine and Surgery is called a Doctor.
List Of Courses Under Medicine And Surgery In Nigeria
- Biomedical Technology
- Dentistry and Dental Surgery
- Human Anatomy
- Human Nutrition and Dietetics
- Medical Biochemistry
- Medical Laboratory Science
- Medical Rehabilitation
- Medicine and Surgery
- Nursing/Nursing Science
- Nutrition and Dietetics – Medicine
- Pharmacology and Therapeutics
- Prosthesis and Orthopaedic Technology
- Public Health Technology
- Veterinary Medicine
How Many Years Does It Takes To Study Medicine or Become a Doctor in Nigeria?
Officially, it takes 6 years of studies to get certified as a medical doctor in nigeria. Over these six years period, the student is taught a lot to get him/her equipped with the required knowledge and skills to be medical doctor. When you are studying Medicine and Surgery in the first 6 years of Medical school, you will be awarded a degree known as MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery).
Skills And Competencies Learned In MEDICINE & Surgery Schools
- Patient care skills: A good doctor has to learn to be caring and compassionate
- Communication skills : A doctor must learn to be attentive to the needs of patients, discerning, approachable and accommodating
- Friendly and humorous
- Scientific skills: Doctors cannot play miss and hit with their jobs. You have to know the theoretical aspects of your work well. Be knowledgeable, professional, effective, efficient and reliable.
- A good doctor has to learn to be mature needed especially in cases of handling tough and severe medical cases
- A good doctor has to learn to be open-minded, optimistic and hopeful so as not to project harmful vibes to patients
- A good doctor has to learn to be vigilant and watchful for even signs and symptoms a patient might not know of yet
- A good doctor has to be loyal and faithful to his patients as well as selfless.
- A good doctor has to have a good/calm temperament and learn to function well under pressure
- A good doctor must be a great thinker, willing to learn new innovations and up to date with books
Awarding MBBS Nigerian Universities Where You Can Study Medicine And Surgery
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Abia State University, Uturu
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- University of Abuja, Gwagwalada
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- Bayero University, Kano
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- ECWA Bingham University, New Karu
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Ekiti State University
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT)
- Gregory University, Uturu
- Gombe State University, Gombe
- University of Ibadan (UI), Igbinedion University Okada
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Kogi State University Anyigba
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU)
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso (LAUTECH)
- Madonna University, Okija
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Nile University of Nigeria, Abuja
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- Ondo State University of Medical Sciences (OSUMS)
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Usmanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- University of Uyo
- Bingham University
Requirements And JAMB UTME Subject Combination
English Language (This is Compulsory for this course) The other three subjects required to study Medicine and Surgery under the Faculty of Medical, Pharmaceutical and Health Sciences in the institutions listed above are:
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS (WAIVER) REMARKS
Nigerian Turkish Nile University of Nigeria accepts Chemistry, Biology and any other Science subject asides Physics
Some Universities such as Usmanu Danfodiyo University and University of Maiduguri accept Mathematics in the place of Physics
Candidates who wish to study Medicine and Surgery must have at least five credits passes at SSCE/NECO or its equivalent in the following subjects: English Language; Mathematics; Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS (WAIVER) REMARKS
(i) UNN accepts Physics with Chemistry (as a single subject) for Physics and Chemistry. UNN requirements should be at one sitting.
(ii) UNILORIN requires five O Level credit passes at only one sitting and minimum score of 240 in JAMB examination.
(iii) UNIBEN, UNIBADAN, IMSU, ABSU, EBSU, UNIOSUN, ANSU, DELSU and BOWEN require the O level Credit passes at one sitting.
(iv) NDU requires the O level Credit passes in not more than two sittings.
(v) Nigerian Turkish Nile University of Nigeria accepts credit pass in any Science subject in the place of Physics.
Requirements For Direct Entry Candidates
To apply for Medicine and Surgery as a Direct Entry candidate, you require: (i) ‘A’ level passes in Physics, Chemistry and Biology or Zoology in addition to UTME requirements.
(ii) BSC, BOS, etc in relevant fields.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS (WAIVER) REMARKS
(i)UDU, UNIMAID and EBSU accept ‘A’level pass in Mathematics in lieu of Physics.
(ii) UNILAG accepts:
- B.Sc. Degree First Class/Second Class Upper in Medical related fields or two ‘A’ level passes to include Chemistry, Biology/Zoology or Physics.
very good passes in three JUPEB/A-LEVEL
- subjects: Physics, Chemistry, Biology and also accept B.Sc. Degree First Class/Second Class Upper in fields such as Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry Physiotherapy, Ophthalmology, Pharmacology, Radiography, Microbiology, Pharmacy, Zoology, Cell Biology and Genetics, Medical Lab. Science, Nursing.
(iii) BINGHAM and UNIPORT – No Direct Entry
(iv) OOU and UNICAL accept Degree in Science not below Second Class Lower Division.
(v) UNICAL accepts Degree (not below a good second class lower Division) in Anatomy, Biochemistry, Physiology, Nursing Science, Medical Laboratory, Biology, Zoology or Chemistry. Does not accept IJMB for Direct Entry.
(vi) ABSU, AAU and OOU accept Degree in related fields.
(vii) BSU, UNILORIN, IMSU and LASU accept a good Honours degree (minimum of second class upper) in relevant discipline.
(viii) UNIJOS requires Direct Entry candidates to fulfill UTME Entry requirements.
- (ix) UNIBEN accepts:
At least three “A” LEVEL PASSES (Not more than one C Grade or minimum of 12points) in Biology or Zoology, Physics and Chemistry at NOT MORE THAN ONE SITTING.
- At least a second class upper division from a recognized University in either B.Sc Biological Sciences or B.Sc. Medical Sciences.
(x) ABSU and UNILORIN all candidates no matter their mode of admission are required to have GCE ‘O’ level or equivalent with credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology at one sitting and same sitting.
(xi) UNILORIN accepts B.Sc (Second Class Honours) in Anatomy, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Physiology, Zoology and other Basic Sciences fields. Also accept a minimum aggregate of 13 points.
(xii) LASU requires a minimum of ‘C’ in each of the subjects and will consider a Bachelor of Science with a minimum of Second Upper Division for admission.
(xiii) LAUTECH accepts ‘A’ Level passes in Physics, Chemistry and Biology or Zoology (plus UTME requirements) may be considered for admission into 200 level.
(xiv) OAU accepts B.Sc. with a minimum of 2nd Class Honours in relevant discipline (Sciences).
(xv) EBSU accepts B.Sc 2nd Class Upper Division in any biological science course Plus at least credit pass in English, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Physics in one sitting.
(xvi) UNIOSUN accepts:
- Acceptable passes (good grade – total points of 10) in Physics, Chemistry and Biology or Zoology at the Higher School Certificate or Advanced Level of General certificate Examination or its equivalent.
- First Degree in relevant Bio-medical sciences (Medical, paramedical, biological, chemical or physical Sciences) not less than Second Class Upper Division level.
(xvii) NDU accepts:
- HSC/GCE ‘A’ Level passes in Chemistry, Biology and Physics with a minimum of 10 points in not more than two sittings.
- A B.Sc. degree holder with a minimum of second class upper division in the areas of Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Zoology, Chemistry, Physics and Botany.
(xviii) UNILAG accepts;
- Very good passes in the following JUPEB/A-LEVEL subjects: Physics Chemistry and Biology.
- B.Sc. Degree First Class/Second Class Upper in fields such as Physiology, Biochemistry, Physiotherapy, Ophthalmology, Pharmacology and Zoology.
(xix) UNIABUJA requires D/E candidates to fulfil UTME Entry requirements.
Career Opportunities For Graduates Of Medicine And Surgery
You might choose to go into primary health care and practice your work generally or you can choose to specialize in any field below;
- Emergency medicine,
- General medicine,
- Geriatric medicine
- Medical research and education
- Public health
Thanks for reading!!!
We advise you to bookmark this page and always check here for more guideline and updates on medicine and surgery in nigeria.
Feel free to share this amazing post with your family and friends.