Are you searching for Nigerian law school to attend? If yes, Then you are on the right page. On this post we will focus on listing out the law universities, courses, campuses, addresses, contact details, school fees and faculties in Nigeria.
About Nigerian Law School
The Nigerian law school and the Council of Legal Education were established in 1962, following the enactment of the Legal Education Act to ensure the study of the Nigerian customary law by prospective members of the bench.
The Nigerian Law School is an educational institution set up by the Government of Nigeria to provide practical training for aspiring Legal Practitioners in Nigeria and also provide a Nigerian legal education to foreign-trained lawyers.
Only students that graduate from recognized law faculties in Nigeria universities are given admission into the Nigerian Law School. After training in the Nigerian Law School, you will sit for what is called the Bar Examination. You will then be given certificate to practice law. After passing the Bar Examination, you will be called to Bar. The certificate is given by the Council of Legal Education in Nigeria.
List of Accredited Faculties of Law in Nigeria
The Council of Legal Education is the regulatory body for the Nigerian Law School, which must be attended by persons willing to practice law in Nigeria.
It also determines the steps to be taken by persons who have obtained a university degree in law from a foreign institution and are willing to practice as lawyers in Nigeria.
|1||UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN||Provisional accreditation||150|
|2||UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS||Full accreditation||270|
|3||UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA, NSUKKA||Provisional accreditation||220|
|4||UNIVERSITY OF MAIDUGURI||Provisional accreditation||200|
|5||UNIVERSITY OF BENIN||Provisional accreditation||180|
|6||UNIVERSITY OF JOS||Provisional accreditation||170|
|7||UNIVERSITY OF CALABAR||Provisional accreditation||170|
|8||UNIVERSITY OF ILORIN||Provisional accreditation||150|
|9||UNIVERSITY OF UYO||Provisional accreditation||150|
|10||OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY||Provisional accreditation||250|
|11||BAYERO UNIVERSITY, KANO||Provisional accreditation||220|
|12||USMANU DAN FODIO UNIVERSITY||Provisional accreditation||80|
|13||AHMADU BELLO UNIVERSITY||Provisional accreditation||280|
|14||UNIVERSITY OF ABUJA||Accreditation Suspended||NIL|
|15||NNAMDI AZIKWE UNIVERSITY||Provisional accreditation||180|
|16||UNIVERSITY OF PORT HARCOURT||Approval to commence||50|
|1||ADEKUNLE AJASIN UNIVERSITY||Provisional accreditation||50|
|2||EBONYI STATE UNIVERSITY||interim accreditation||150|
|3||EKITI STATE UNIVERSITY||Provisional accreditation||60|
|4||ABIA STATE UNIVERSITY||Interim accreditation «||130|
|5||DELTA STATE UNIVERSITY||Provisional accreditation||120|
|6||ENUGU STATE UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECH||Provisional accreditation||100|
|7||KOGI STATE UNIVERSITY||Provisional accreditation||60|
|8||RIVERS STATE UNIVERSITY||Provisional accreditation||250|
|9||NASARAWA STATE UNIVERSITY||Provisional accreditation||40|
|10||AMBROSE ALLI UNIVERSITY||Provisional accreditation||120|
|11||OLABISI ONABANJO UNIVERSITY||Provisional accreditation||170|
|12||OSUN STATE UNIVERSITY||Interim accreditation||50|
|13||BUKAR ABBA IBRAHIM UNIVERSITY||Approval to commence||50|
|14||UMARU MUSA YAR’ADUA UNIVESITY||Approval to commence||50|
|15||IMO STATE UNIVERSITY||Provisional accreditation||100|
|16||BAUCHI STATE UNIVERSITY||Approval to commence||50|
|17||CHUKWUEMEKA ODIMEGWU OJUKWU UNIVERSITY||Interim accreditation||100|
|18||LAGOS STATE UNIVERSITY||Accreditation Suspended||NIL|
|19||BENUE STATE UNIVERSITY||Accreditation Suspended||NIL|
|20||NIGER DELTA UNIVERSITY||Provisional accreditation||80|
|1||IGB1NEDION UNIVERSITY||Provisional accreditation||100|
|2||AFE BABALOLA UNIVERSITY||Approval to commence||180|
|3||CRESCENT UNIVERSITY||Approval to commence||50|
|4||BABCOCK UNIVERSITY||Provisional accreditation||100|
|5||BAZE UNIVERSITY||Approval to commence||50|
|6||AMERICAN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA||Approval to commence||50|
|7||BOWEN UNIVERSITY||Provisional accreditation||50|
|8||BENSON IDAHOSA UNIVERSITY||Interim accreditation||60|
|9||NIGERIAN TURKISH NILE UNIVERSITY||Approval to commence||50|
|10||JOSEPH AYO BABALOLA UNIVERSITY||Approval to commence||50|
|11||AL-HIKMAH UNIVERSITY||Approval to commence||50|
|12||LEADCITY UNIVERSITY||Approval to commence||50|
|13||AJAYI CROWTHER UNIVERSITY||Approval to commence||50|
|14||EDWIN CLARK UNIVERSITY||Approval to commence||50|
|15||MADONNA UNIVERSITY||Provisional accreditation (subject to Council’s approval)||50|
|16||ELIZADE UNIVERSITY||Approval to commence||50|
|17||SALEM UNIVERSITY||Approval to commence||50|
|18||GREGORY UNIVERSITY||Approval to commence||50|
|19||EDO UNIVERSITY||Approval to commence||50|
INTERPRETATION OF TERMS:
- Full Accreditation: means the faculty has complied with all Council requirements.
- Provisional Accreditation: means the faculty has substantially complied with Council requirements.
- Accreditation suspended: means the faculty of Law has its accreditation suspended by the Council of Legal Education.
- Undergoing Accreditation: means the University application to commence Law is being considered, but not yet approved for admission of students to the Law Faculty.
- Interim Accreditation: means Council of Legal Education has given approval for the commencement of the Law Faculty, subject to further accreditation.
Nigerian Law School Campuses
There are six campuses. The six campuses are:
- Abuja Headquarters – located in Bwari
- Lagos Campus
- Enugu Campus
- Bayelsa Campus
- Kano Campus
- Yola Campus
NIGERIAN LAW SCHOOL CAMPUSES BRIEF HISTORY
The Lagos Campus was set up in 1962, moving to its current location in 1969. The law school headquarters was relocated to the town of Bwari near Abuja in 1997. At the time of the move, hostels and the main auditorium were still under construction. The town had no hospital, no telephone and banking services, and the school was constructing its own borehole to provide potable water. The Augustine Nnamani Campus is located in Agbani, Enugu State. A fourth campus is located in Bagauda, Kano State. There are two additional campuses now which brings it to a total of 6 campuses. One in Yenegoa, Bayelsa State and the sixth in Yola, Adamawa State.
Nigerian Law School Contact Details
Abuja Law School Campus.
- Address: Nigerian Law School, Bwari, P.M.B 170, Garki, Abuja
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: +234 9068057726
Lagos Law School Campus.
Ozumba Mbadiwe Street, Victoria Island, P.M.B. 12610, Lagos, Nigeria.
- +234(1) 8105305
Enugu Law School Campus.
- Agbani, Enugu State, Nigeria
Bayelsa Law School Campus.
- The south-south campus of the Nigerian Law School Yenagoa is a sprawling site located at Agudama-Epie in the outskirts of Yenagoa, Bayelsa State.
Kano Law School Campus.
- Nigerian Law School, Kano Campus
- Jos Road, Kano
- PMB 3568
Yola Campus Law School Campus.
- Wuro Hausa, Yola, Nigeria
List Of Nigerian Law School Courses
The various law school campuses in Nigerian as listed above offer the same set of course, since they all follow the same syllabus. The various course being offered are highlighted below:
- Arrests & Searches
- Pre-trial Investigations & Police Interviews
- Institution of Criminal Proceedings
- Presence of the accused
- complaint and witnesses
- Constitutional Safeguards to ensure fair trial
- duties of counsel and the court
- Trials and presentation of evidence and advocacy
- Concluding Addresses
- Judgment and Sentence
- Dui attorney cases
- Prelim matters before commencing civil action
- Courts with civil jurisdiction
- Interlocutory of Applications
- Third Party Proceedings
- Inter pleader Proceedings
- Mareva Injunction
- Anton Piller Injunction
- Pre-trial Issues
- Preparing for trial
- The course of trial
- Trial Advocacy
- Election Petition
Property Law Practice
- Laws to property transactions
- Essentials of power of attorney
- Essentials of a Deed
- Registration of titles
- Assent Outcomes
- Rent in Leases
- Transfer of Lease
- Wills- Taking
- Instructions and drafting of wills
- Letters of Administration
- Winding up of Estates.
Corporate Law Practice
- Choice of Business and Non-Business Organization & Formations
- Foreign Participation
- Promotion of Companies
- Pre-Incorporation Contracts
- Matters before commencement of Business Alteration of Memo & Articles of Companies
- Incorporated Trustees
- Registration of Companies
- Corporate Governance & Administration
- Winding Up
Law In Practice (Ethics & Skills)
- History of the Legal Profession & Regulation
- Relationship with and Duty of Council to colleagues
- Appointment and Discipline of Judicial Officers
- Discipline & Procedure of Removal
- Contempt of Court
- Rights of Legal Practitioners
- Duty of Counsel
- Controlling Bodies in the Legal Profession
- Instigation Litigation
- Dinner Etiquette
- Attracting Business.
Nigerian School Of Law School Fees
Below is the breakdown of the Nigerian Law School fees:
- Tuition = N10,000
- Hostel Accommodation = N30,000
- Hotel Caution Deposit = N10,000
- Term Dinners = N12,000
- Cocktails = N12,000
- Library Development = N30,000
- Sports and Recreation Facilities = N5,000
- The Nigerian Law & Practice Journal = N7,000
- Examination Bar Part II = N25,000
- Course Materials = N20,000
- Development Levy = N20,000
- Student Year Book = N4,000
- Identity Card = N1,000
- Postages by Courier = N2,000
- Medical Registration = N10,000
- V-Sat and Info-Tech = N30,000
- Insurance = N5,000
- E-Handbook (CD-ROM) = N3,000
- Facilities Maintenance = N33,000
- Quality Assurance = N15,000
- Security Services = N15,000
IMPORTANT NOTICE ON ADMISSION TO THE NIGERIAN LAW SCHOOL
For the avoidance of doubt, any study of law via correspondence, part-time or in a setting other than a conventional full-time study in a University is not recognised by the Council of Legal Education and the Board of Study for admission of students to the Nigerian Law School and entrance into the Legal profession.
The study of law at the Open University is not recognised.
The public, parents and students are accordingly advised to note, please.
Thanks for reading!!!
We advise you to bookmark this page and always check here for more guideline and updates on law schools in nigeria.
Feel free to share this amazing post with your family and friends.